Sunday, January 16, 2011

First boysenberry bloom

first boysenberry
An outlier. I predict the rest will flower muuuuuch later. For reference, last year, I noted the first bloom was in March, around the vernal equinox. I suspect the wild weather we've been having in November and December, especially the hot weather, may have influenced this outlier.

In November, I cut back last year's vines to the roots and rearranged the new canes by detangling them and placing them up on the trellis.  Last week,  I fertilized the canes with aged cow manure, the bag does says organic. This week, the canes were mulched with compost from my garden. I see last year's leaves still hanging on, tenacious, so I think it'll be awhile before we see new growth for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...