Wednesday, January 25, 2017

after the deluge, January 2017

We had around 7.81 inches of rain this month, a real treat after several years of very little rain. I am not savvy enough to be able to find historical records although I know they are out there.

As an indication that southern California was even wetter in the mountains, it was a good month for snow at Mammoth: 245.5 inches of snow. This was apparently the most ever in one month since the 1969-1970 season.

Before the deluge, I planted seeds (carrots, spinach, radish, arugula and peas) in my garden plot. Nothing showing up so far.

However, the violets are in bloom. These are volunteers. I don't know the species. Family: Violaceae. Viola sp.
 photo violets Jan 25 2017_zpsgt9hnctx.jpg

The aloe is also in bloom. Family: Asphodelaceae. Aloe vera

 photo aloe flowering Jan 25 2017_zpsfyz5gcsc.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...