Thursday, April 15, 2010

Five reasons why I love arugula


1. They grow where I sow them, any nook or cranny placed in square foot sized plots, my only homage to square foot gardening. I prepare the soil by adding a little organic fertilizer and then water. After I throw seeds across the top of the soil, I mulch with dry alfalfa and then water.

2. They germinate quickly, within two weeks at the most.

3.I don't know how they do it but they somehow resist the bazillions of slugs in my garden who lie in wait for anything to consume. I think arugula isn't one of their favorite meals, thank goodness.

4. I love to thin them, precisely because they end up as my lunch.

5. If I miss any for lunch, I'm very happy to have a few plants go to seed so that I can collect more seeds.

Family Brassiceae, Eruca sativa

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...